“The creation of art is not the fulfillment of a need but the creation of a need. The world never needed Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony until he created it. Now we could not live without it.” –Louis Kahn, architect
Jim and I moved into One Arts Plaza in 2007. For the last two years, we’ve witnessed the Winspear Opera House and the Wyly Performing Arts Theater go from ‘ground breaking to ribbon-cutting’. October 18th, 2009, with family and friends, we attended the AT&T Performing Arts Center Grand Opening in the alls Arts District. We saw art in motion:
- Children running through the reflecting pool of about three glorious inches of water
- A couple pulling their pug-faced dog while he stood in their little red wagon
- People of all ages and stages standing in awe to listen and watch the talent on multiple stages
- Laughter heard, smiles shared, ooohs and aaaahs to see the incredible fireworks shot from the tops of the new Wyly and Winspear structures
- It occurred to me that while the buildings are architectural dreams come true – It is the people beholding the beauty that create the total essence of art.
- So…what makes your eyes happy????
For more information about the Performing Arts Center, visit: